Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This is Tuesday, and as such, I should be reporting on my BetterU progress - but I worked all day and couldn't get to the gym. I have tomorrow off, so I'll post my results tomorrow. Unfortunately, we're expecting rain, so I probably won't be able to do an outdoor walk (not without getting wet, anyway). If it does rain heavily, I'll sigh a big sigh and go walk on the treadmill after I've weighed in.

Who mentioned reading a book called When I Was A Boy, Neruda Called Me Policarpo? Whoever it was, thank you. I went right to the library and borrowed the book, which turned out to be delightful. The author, Poli Délano, writes about not only Neruda, but the other larger-than-life people who surrounded him in his childhood. He apparently knew Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera - who told him that he had eaten human flesh and quite enjoyed it.

Délano charmed me on the first page when he wrote about a house he lived in as a child:

"They said it had once belonged to a famous poet because of the words someone had written in letters the size of wine glasses on one of the dining-room walls.

My loyal heart lies down in the shade.

I didn't understand what the words meant, but I thought they were beautiful."

I know just how he felt. That still happens to me.

(The book is listed as Juvenile Literature, but I quite enjoyed it, and I'm hardly a kid anymore).

Under the heading "Interesting things I heard today":

This was on CBC radio. I love it. We're such a folksy people. Heh. ;>)



The announcer was talking about the fact that music is not so much a job as a calling. He said that being a musician is like running away and joining the circus - which leads to this, a little night music from The Band. Meanwhile, I'd better go find a poem for today, before it's tomorrow. Good night, all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was great! I often do hear the song on CBC, but I had never seen the Youtube of it. Thanks - that was fun.

Sandra Leigh said...

I don't know how I've missed it, but yesterday was a first for me. Is there somebody at CBC whose job it is to just go from town to town, seeking out the weird and wonderful in music? Oh, and btw, do you know that CBC2's schedule is changing a bit again - I think it's this Friday?

Unknown said...

Fun music-- I've always been a fan of the Band-- & I see you have Mistress Bradstreet in the sidebar.

Blog Archive