Monday, May 11, 2009



Who's a Lazy Girl?


Because I could, I spent my day - the first half, anyway - doing not much of anything. I played on the interwebs, and then I watched Chocolat on television, which was as close to sitting around, eating bon-bons as I had been in a long time.



Then I really got comfortable - complete with tea and oatmeal-raisin cookies (having no bon-bons in the house). I lay down to finish Tender Graces. I should really have invited someone over to take photos, it was so silly. There I was, stretched out on the couch, sniffing and hiccoughing and wiping my eyes and blowing my nose. Do you remember that scene from Romancing the Stone where Kathleen Turner's character is writing the last page of her steamy western romance novel? She types and snivels and honks and types and weeps, then hugs the final page (or was it her cat?) to her breast in an ecstatic release. Well, that was me - but it wasn't a steamy western romance novel, and I didn't even write it. It's just that I've been so excited for so long about the release of Tender Graces, that when I finally had it in my hands, I was almost afraid to read it. I read it very slowly. I savoured it. At times, I read it aloud. And now it's over. So I moped for a while, made dinner, and had a Mother's Day chat with my daughter, which cheered me up immensely.

Later, I requested a copy of Chocolat from the library, because having seen the movie, I imagine I will like the novel. Then I remembered seeing Joshilyn Jackson's The Girl Who Stopped Swimming AND Between Georgia on the library's list, so I ordered them, as well. If they are as good as her Gods in Alabama, I know I'll love them.

Meanwhile, I'll have to content myself with reading whatever I've got on my shelves - and maybe do some of that writing that I've been letting slide.

John (Robert Frost's Banjo) and René (Yes is Red) and I were tossing around the idea of starting a new tradition: Original Poetry Sunday. All three of us posted original poems yesterday, and it felt like something we should strive to do on a regular basis. I'm all for it. Is anyone else interested in joining us? A lot of us post poetry now and then, but this would be something to strive for - to put ourselves out here, naked and everything, on a weekly basis. What do you think?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Your reading habits are truly impressive! It is hard when you finish a book you love; while you can return to the world in your mind, there are no new discoveries there-- tho re-reading down the line can bring those.

Looking forward to the Sunday poetry thing.

Anonymous said...

I can relate. It was like leaving an old friend when I put down Kat's copy! And I hope we see another of Virginia Kate soon. :)

Sounds like a relaxing day, hugs

Sandra Leigh said...

Yes, I do re-read, but I generally leave a fairly long cooling-down period between readings.

I, too, look forward to Original Poetry Sunday.

And yes, Kimmi - let's nag Kat unmercifully until she comes up with VK2, okay?

René Wing said...

sundays are already such a lovely day, that will only make it better... but I can't go so far as to do it naked.

I haven't been reading any fiction for a long time, and when I do, I usually end up not finishing it. I'm curious about these you are reading.

Love the Emily dickinson... "A quality of loss/Affecting our content." so emily! funny that you and John both had Emily's today.

Barry said...

I love poetry, but have no talent for it.

However, if you guys are writing, I'll be here reading!

Kat Mortensen said...

Oh yes! Original poetry Sunday sounds good to me!
I keep discovering movies that I want to watch over again and never seem to do it. You have inspired me. Very soon, I shall pull one of my old favourites out and rewatch it.

"Romancing The Stone" is one of those films that eluded me - both in the theatre and on t.v.
It's a rainy Sunday afternoon-stumble-upon type of flick now. I'll keep my eyes open!

Kat

Sandra Leigh said...

René, I'm with you. PJs are about as close to naked as I'll get for this exercise. As for my reading, I'm discovering wonderful writers here in the Land of Blog - and 'meeting' them makes reading their books all the more fun.

Thanks, Barry. It'll be great to have a cheering section, though I suspect you are too modest.

Kat, you'll find 'Romancing the Stone' to be pure escapism. I haven't seen it in years, but the Finishing the Novel scene stuck with me more than the adventures did - that and the fact that Michael Douglas kept pronouncing Cartagena "Car-ta-HAY-nee-uh".

FireLight said...

Hello, Sandra!
Sounds like you have been really devouring some great stories! I really need to read Gods in Alabama! I hear good reviews about it. Poetry Sunday???... humm....I might be able to make that one!

Sandra Leigh said...

Gods in Alabama had me at the first line. I am checking my library account every five minutes (well, close to that) to see whether Joshilyn's other books have arrived yet, but so far, no luck.

Oh yes, please do Original Poetry Sunday, FireLight.

Kathryn Magendie said...

*sniffle sob* - thank you for that ...that made me ...I won't say it - because I'm a tough old bird and I never cry -- ever (where people can see) never ever do I shed a tear (unless alone)_nope, never this one cries (as far as legend has it).....

Sandra Leigh said...

Yes, Kathryn, we all know what a stolid, unsentimental sort you are. ;>) You're welcome.

Blog Archive