Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Boxing Day.

My pedometer worked correctly this morning. We walked to the rock, then upstairs to the cafe - 3,160 steps. By the time we got home, the count was well over 5,000. Since then, I haven't walked a lot, but R and I did cycle up to Looney Bean this afternoon, and cycling apparently activates the meter as well, because I now read 8,239 steps. That's better. By the time I go to bed tonight, I should have a respectable number there - Oops - I just glanced at the clock. It's time for the sun to set. Back soon......

There. One more ritual. I seem to have the need for ritual in my life - not routine, necessarily, but ritual. When we walk up the beach in the morning, Robin likes to cut diagonally across the last bit to get to the cafe steps - but I have to walk all the way to the rock and lay my hand on it, under the painted "Playa Bruja" sign. Otherwise, I haven't actually walked all the way to the end. As for the sunset, we both seem to require that. It's strictly a Mazatlan ritual, so far - though I don't know why, as they have sunsets in most every place we go!

I took several pictures today, all of the orioles feasting on the orange half that R put out for them. Last I saw, they were right down to the inner skin, so I think it's time for a new orange. After I took the photos, I got Robin's laptop down. I know I can't use my laptop to get pictures from the camcorder, so I figured I would use his. Well, no. His didn't appear to have the required software either, so I downloaded the Kodak Easy-Share programme - but for some reason, it won't recognize the camera. Well, poop. For now, I give up. 25 degree temperatures, sunshine, and leisure just don't mix well with frustration and frequent swearing. If I have to choose between them, I'll take the warmth and leisure, thank you.

Meanwhile, I can provide a link to another bird photo. This fellow, a yellow-winged cacique (Cacicus melanicterus) has been coming to the orange daily, and he's quite impressive.

http://www.vivanatura.org/Cacicus%20melanicterus%20ExtraPhotos.html

We plan a bus ride to Soriana tomorrow, but I'm hoping I can find out where the public market is and go there, too - though maybe Kris and I should do that together - now that I remember how much Robin enjoyed the Guaymas market! (not at all, if you'll recall)

No comments:

Blog Archive