Sunday, August 02, 2009

Friday Photo Shoot-out (Sunday edition) - Outdoor Food

I had an excuse. Honest I did. I had no internet coverage on Friday (or Thursday), and I didn't get home until 11 p.m. yesterday. So, this is what I did.

The last couple of times that our friends Franco and Jane have gone away in their RV, we have invited them to have dinner with us on the night they get home. Jane decided that we had a good thing going there, so she invited us to have dinner with them tonight, and we did. I rather thought we would be eating outside, but it turned out to be slightly cooler in the house, so that was where we ate. After we had finished our first helping of the dessert/cheese course, I grabbed the platter and took it out to the deck so I could photograph it. The result was rather impressive, I thought. We all agreed that it looked like a cover shot for Gourmet magazine or some such. Well, maybe not that grand - but it was a lovely platter, and it looked really good on that table. Our enthusiasm probably grew out of satisfaction with the meal, which was luscious.



Please note the figs, fresh from Jane's garden. The round cheese is a delicious Havarti, and the hard cheese is something similar to Asiago, but I can't remember what it is called.

Our homecoming dinner is now an official tradition.

16 comments:

Carrie said...

Since I am just getting to the S part of the list you aren't late to me! I love harvarti - your platter looks really nice and almost too pretty to eat!

Sandra Leigh said...

Ah, but it was too pretty not to eat! ;>) Jane does set a lovely table.

Unknown said...

Sandra Leigh,
I'm grabbing a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, and sitting myself right down on that lovely deck! It is a gorgeous shot!

Sandra Leigh said...

Hi, Kim. We did go out to the deck after dinner (probably because I had snagged the cheese platter), and it was indeed lovely out there. In fact, there weren't even any mosquitoes, which was a relief after my recent Manitoba experience.

The Sauvignon Blanc will go beautifully with the Havarti, btw. I hope you enjoy it.

Tess Kincaid said...

Yum. O. This made me so hungry.

Thanks for taking part in the discussion over at Willow Manor today. Your comments are always thoughtfull and much appreciated. :^)

Sandra Leigh said...

Thanks, Willow. It was a very interesting discussion.

Unknown said...

That does look quite delicious. This sounds like an excellent tradition.

Sandra Leigh said...

John, hello! It's good to see you. I agree re the tradition. It helps to get over that "oh, dear, my holiday is over" feeling.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Looks like a lovely platter. I never had figs, fresh or dried. You going to have a bottle of New Zealannd best wine to go with your "picnic"?

Cheers,

Ann :)

Cynthia L. H. said...

Sandra Leigh,
Lovely platter! It DOES look like Gourmet Magazine.
;^) ;^)
I love figs, too. Mmmmmm...
;^)

Sandra Leigh said...

Hello, Ann and Cynthia.

Fresh figs are indescribably delicious. You just have to have one - but make sure it's good and ripe.

No New Zealand wine at that house. Our host is an accomplished vintner, so there's no shortage of wine. As a pretty-close-to-teetotaler, I do miss out, but last night I did sample his chocolate-orange port, and it was worth falling slightly off my self-imposed wagon.

Anonymous said...

What a great photo! One of my favorite meals when my husband is away - cheese, crackers, fruit and wine of course ;)

gigi said...

Fun good times!
Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit and comment.
Blessings on your day!

Unknown said...

I would love to come to your house for dinner. looks delish!! thanks for your visit!

Heather S-G said...

Gorgeous!! Set a bottle of wine and a loaf of bread next to this and I could linger outside all day :D

Sandra Leigh said...

Hello, Denise. Kennebunkport, right? Yes, that's one of the joys of a little alone time - simple luxuries.

Gigi, having seen your photos, I know you would have enjoyed our party. Good friends are a treasure.

Doreen, it's a deal - but you have to bring some of that ice cream. Mmmmmmm. Chocolate.

Girlichef - indeed. Sourdough for me, thank you - and cold, sweet butter. Oh, dear. There went the diet again.

Blog Archive