Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Photo Shootout -- Park Landscapes




We have been under water for several days, but for a while this afternoon, the sun came out, and I took the opportunity to snap a few photos in Bowen Park, which is right in downtown Nanaimo.  As you can see, Bowen Park is well-treed, but it also has many other attractions. At one end of the park there is a soccer field. At the other end is the Curling Club. Within the park there are tennis courts,

an outdoor swimming pool,

children's playground equipment, and a lovely bowling green, where white-clad bowlers may be seen cavorting on summer days.


There is a very popular seniors' recreation centre next to the bowling green.

Farther inside the park, there used to be a group of totem poles. I tried to find them today, but they had disappeared. It turns out that they were rotting and considered a safety hazard, so they have been removed. Timing is everything. I wish I had taken photos of them before they were pulled down.


There is still the duck pond, though, near where the totem poles were, and now there appears to be a fountain that I don't remember.


I don't remember this bridge, either. I suspect it's been a long time since I took a walk in Bowen  Park. Thanks to JarieLyn for this assignment. For more Friday Photo Shootout posts, just click on the camera in my sidebar.

4 comments:

Barry said...

Thanks for the walk through Bowen Park. Obviously a park for every taste, young and old alike.

Certainly a great place for photography!

~JarieLyn~ said...

This looks and sounds like an amazing park. I really like your first photo and the photo of the bridge. Very nice shoot out. I wish you could have gotten the totem poles too, but your shoot out turned out great wihtout them.

Kim said...

You live in a beautiful town...what a lovely day for a walk in the park! I want to stand on that little bridge and watch the ducks on the water!

Chef E said...

I am thinking if I could just find my time machine and get back to my early years I could enjoy these playgrounds they have for kids now...we just had rubber tires laying around, LOL, love your post and hope all is going as you think...

Blog Archive