Saturday, March 14, 2009

Burnaby, B.C.



Yes, B.C. Canada. What happened to Washington? I thought we would be staying somewhere in Washington tonight, but I guess not!



We left Sutherlin, Oregon at about 9:30 this morning. The sky was grey and cloudy, and by the time we got to Portland, it was raining so hard that I considered getting out the kayak paddles. The rain continued, with varying degrees of strength, all the way through Washington State and across the border. We went to the ferry terminal to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island, but we had missed the last boat. So - one quick phone call, and we're spending the night with the grandbabies. We kept them up way past their bedtime, but they've gone to sleep now, and we're sitting around, drinking tea and recounting our travel adventures.



It was a long, long day. By the time we got settled here, it was nearly 9:30. That makes twelve hours of traveling. I'm actually glad we missed the boat, because it's a two-hour sailing, then half an hour's drive to get home to a house that's been empty for months. I think I'd rather face that by daylight, and preferably when I'm not exhausted.



This morning, I discovered that Willow and Leslie had challenged each other to walk, in order to combat Blogger's Bum - and they were inviting the rest of us to participate. (See the links over in the sidebar) So I went for a walk this morning, before we left Sutherlin. There was a time, not too long ago, when I aimed for 10,000 steps a day. This morning, I did just over 2,000 steps, and that felt like enough. It's just as well we're going home. I just wasn't getting enough exercise down in the heat. Tonight, my pedometer reads 2,864 steps, and it tells me that that is 1.34 miles. It's probably more like a mile, because I haven't programmed the pedometer according to my own (short) stride. No wonder I'm getting fat(ter). Never mind. Tomorrow, 3,500 steps....

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You are making excellent progress!

Sandra Leigh said...

Hah! We drove from 9:30 in the morning until after 9 p.m. Too much progress, I say. :>( Never mind, though. We're home now.

Blog Archive