Sunday, February 17, 2008

Yesterday was such a full day, I was actually exhausted at the end of it. The Rescate bazaar started at 9 o'clock in the morning, so Robin and I skipped our cycle ride out to the estuary, in order to get to the bazaar fairly early. Roger, Chantal, Terry and I rode out there in the truck, and Robin followed on his bike. He never did join us at the bazaar. I gather he kept going to the marina and enjoyed a cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe. The rest of us wandered around the bazaar. I bought a few raffle tickets, but I didn't actually buy any jewelry or anything else that was on display. Chantal found a couple of lovely necklaces that I wish I had seen. There was an art display by the same group that had a sale next door a couple of weeks ago. There was lots of jewelry, a table of baked goods (oh, yes, I did buy cookies. Chocolate chip/pecan. Yum.) All the money was to go to Rescate, the ambulance service.

We stopped at the supermarket on the way home, because it was Saturday, and Saturday is chicken day. Of course, I remembered later that there was something I had forgotten, so I walked back to the supermarket and Tony's at about 2:30.

We had tickets for the Dixieland concert out at the San Carlos Plaza Hotel at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. At 3:30 we all piled into the truck and drove out there. I'm glad we didn't leave it any later, because there was a good crowd. Did I mention this concert before? I did say to Robin that I was surprised that he had bought me a ticket, because "I'm really only good for about five minutes of Dixieland." How ungracious of me. I just didn't want him to be surprised if I developed a headache and had to leave in the middle of the concert. As it turned out, I had a wonderful time. The group was called The Original Wildcat Jass Band. (Yes, those are esses). The banjo player/vocalist is Rob Wright, who was part of the Christy Minstrels. He has also performed with the Moody Blues, Ray Charles, Sammy Davis Jr., and others, according to the programme. Dr. Kelland Thomas plays soprano sax and Dr. Kelly Thomas plays the tuba. They are both on the faculty of the University of Arizona. Dan Kruse is on drums. The trumpeter is a newcomer to the group. His name is Jason Carter, and he is incredible. They played the St. James Infirmary Blues, and I was hooked. Everybody in our group had a great time, as did everybody I talked to after the show. The encore was "When the Saints Go Marching In," which had almost everybody up out of their chairs.

Much satisfied, we came home, made dinner, ate, cleaned up, and prepared to go to Bananas, a bar up the street where The Twins were playing. Roger had talked to them about Terry's guitar playing talent, and they had offered to let him sit in with them for part of the evening. Chantal had had enough for the day, so she stayed home. Roger, Terry, his guitar and I walked to the bar for 8 o'clock. Robin followed a bit later, on his bike.

My only complaint about this part of the evening was that the bar was full of smoke. From time to time, I would take my enormous glass of lemonade and go stand outside, with my foot blocking the door a bit open, so I could still hear the music. When The Twins finished their first set, they gave the microphone to Terry, and he performed a few songs. When they came back, he played a bit more with - if I remember correctly - the drummer backing him. Then the original group took over again. Around 10 o'clock, the style of the music changed. Instead of the country/Jimmy Buffet style music (in Spanish) and the cha-cha, samba etc., we had been hearing, it was pretty well all Mexican music, and the gringo dancers on the floor gave way to local people. It was all great fun to watch. The group itself is interesting. The lead guitarist and the drummer are identical twins. The rhythm guitarist is the son of one of them, and the bass player is the son of the other. The sons look almost as much alike as their fathers do.

Just before 11 o'clock, we started walking home, but a woman who is staying here at Totonaka offered us a ride, (Robin had left earlier, on his bike.) and we accepted gratefully.

It's a good thing our days here aren't all like that. I would need a vacation. But it was a good day.

No comments:

Blog Archive