Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Here I am, still in San Carlos. I had several days of internet problems, and now we are all fighting the flu again, but otherwise, everything is fine here. The weather has taken a turn for the warmer - up in the 30s - Celsius, of course - during the day. Fortunately, it cools down quite nicely as soon as the sun goes down, so we can sleep comfortably. Tomorrow I'm off to Guaymas again. I think I'll replace my most-used cazuela now, lest it wear out when I'm not here to replace it. I know they're supposed to last a long time, but I would hate to be without it, now that I've become so dependent.

So what has happened in the last week? It became mating season in birdland, so the sky is filled with screaming and swooping. A couple in the park went on a trip to Copper Canyon and left their dog behind. The folks behind them are doing most of the dogsitting, but I'm taking Sadie for a walk once a day.

I bought a ticket to the March 6 choral concert.

I found out that you can buy amoxicillin over the counter here. I haven't needed to do so, but I know I can.

There have been (pretty well) daily cycle rides to the estuary, walks on the beach, dolphin sightings - lots of those - and reading. Lots of reading.

What with not being able to read the boards, I entertained myself with Christopher Moore's Island of the Sequined Love Nun (Very.Funny.) I understand I may have read the best of his stuff now - Island and Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story. That's too bad.

Having greatly enjoyed We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates, I picked up another of her books, Solstice. Somebody at the Minneapolis Star Tribune called it "a display of genius". I found it muddy.

Then I started reading something called What Girls Learn by Karin Cook. I had to go out shortly after I finished it, and my eyes were all swollen from crying. It was rather embarrassing. I wish I had had that book to read when I was a girl.

When I'm not indulging my love of novels, I'm working my way through a book that Maria lent me - Mexico - A History by Robert Ryal Miller.

One day I went into town - to the Ley plaza - to have my hair cut. I did some grocery shopping. At the far end of that plaza there's a little coffee place called Keop's. It's sort of a Starbucks wannabe. I decided to treat myself to a nice cup of coffee and start reading the book I had just picked up at the library (Solstice). I lugged my grocery bags down to the end of the hall, dumped them at a table and went up to the counter. "Cafe con leche, por favor" I said. The two young ladies behind the counter looked at each other, then at me. They seemed puzzled. "Quieres un latte?" one of them ventured. "No, no quiero un latte. Quiero un cafe. Con leche." More puzzlement. "Quieres un Americano?" Oh, for god's sake. "Si, esta bien. Un Americano, por favor. Con leche." At least they heated the milk. The Americano was good - but what ever happened to coffee? Plain old coffee. I can get it at the mercado in downtown Guaymas, and at the little restaurants here in San Carlos - but in these fancy-schmancy little "coffee" (you should pardon the expression) houses, there's no such thing as coffee. Sheesh.

End of rant.

As you can see, there's nothing spectacular happening here. I've developed the habit of sitting on the beach for a few minutes' meditation every day. That's been great. We've been here long enough now that I don't feel as if I have to be doing something all the time. I'm reminded of my neighbour back in Bahia Kino who said "Every day I start out with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I've just about finished."

No comments:

Blog Archive