Monday, February 04, 2008

I thought that after all that exercise yesterday, I would sleep right through the night, but no, I still woke up at about 2:30 in the morning and read for an hour. I think I'm okay with that, though. Days have been so busy, I haven't had as much time to read as I would like. That hour of snuggling into a book in the middle of the night is rather lovely. I'm reading We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates. The narrative has a wonderful rhythm - I keep wanting to read it aloud. It is a great relief after Sophie's Choice. I'm not even sure why I finished that book. I was so annoyed with the narrator, I found myself asking aloud whether he was ever going to get on with it. Never mind. It's done.

This morning I got up and told myself Don't think about it, just to do it - too many Super Bowl ads, I guess. I'm thinking in adspeak. I showered and dressed and was ready to ride out with Robin. We cycled to the estuary, sat on the wall while we ate a couple of oranges, then took a walk down the beach to where the water goes into and out of the estuary. There we sat and stared at the waves and breathed. It was beautiful. Then we walked back to the bikes and rode home - with a stop at the bakery for fresh bread and chocolate eclairs (just in case we were burning too many calories with all this exercise). Oh, and speaking of Super Bowls, I watched the game yesterday - my first ever Super Bowl, if I'm not mistaken. I cheered for the Giants because they were the underdogs, and they won. I take full credit. I watched the last half of the game over at Roger and Chantal's, and I scared Blitzen when I cheered - so I sat on my hands after that.

I planned on a very busy day today - first the cycling (which Robin calls his Morning Patrol), then I had to cook some beans, as I was fresh out, and do three loads of laundry. Well, I did the Patrol, and I've cooked the beans now, but when I went to do the laundry, I met Chantal along the way, and she told me it was standing room only at the laundry room - so I've put that chore off until dinner time, when (if experience is to be trusted) there's nobody there at all. Meanwhile, I'm still wearing my cycling clothes (plus the jacket I've thrown on because the wind is chilly) because pretty well everything else is in those bags of laundry sitting outside the door.

Tomorrow I plan to go to Hermosillo with Roger and Chantal. They are going to pick up Roger's nephew, who will be spending the next month here. They also plan to do some shopping - hence my tagging along. I want to buy a new Oster blender (Chantal got hers in Hermosillo), and Robin wants some gringo cheese. We will probably go out to dinner when we get back, rather than try to cook after the trip - so I'll see you back here in a couple of days.

No comments:

Blog Archive