Saturday, November 07, 2009

Day Seven. Time for a bumper sticker that reads:  

I survived one week of NaNoWriMo!

I've found out something surprising, though, in the course of this week. If I go off to work, having maybe written two hundred words (or none, like today), and I'm gone for ten hours or so, and I come back thinking omigod I have to write 2,000 words tonight and I DON'T WANT TO! and I just want to eat and turn on the television and veg out, and I don't - I mean, I do eat, and I may even turn on the television (or the radio, or YouTube) for background noise - but I don't just do that - I also sit down to write - if all that happens, then a couple of hours later, I realize that I have in fact written two thousand words, and I did not die. In fact, there were moments when I forgot about the word count and simply enjoyed the moments. How about that?

Tonight, for example, I came home thinking that I had nothing in me. Nothing at all. I could barely be civil to my husband, and he hadn't done anything wrong. He was just another human being, and I had to speak to him, and that was, at least at that moment, a herculean task. I made small talk for a few minutes, ate some dinner, and then opened my netbook and started to write.  I stopped  a few minutes ago, with 2,234 words added to my count.

It seems I may be able to meet some more NaNoWriters tomorrow at The Vault, if we can agree on a time. I hope that works out. In a write-in situation, I bet I could put 3,000 words on. This is the night when I get to read the Week 2 pep talk in No Plot? No Problem! It's going to warn me that I'm coming to the Slough of Despond for real, this time. Oddly, I feel rather optimistic about this week.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hold on to that optimism! Hope the get-together works out.

Barry said...

Way to go Sandra and I'm glad you didn't die.

Keep those words coming!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Yay!!! on the word counts!

When I worked all day, I didn't get as much writing done - and most of it was done over the weekend, but every so often, I'd write at night . . .Tender Graces -the very first first draft of a thought of what was to be TG - was mostly written on weekends and a few nights here and there :)

Kathryn Magendie said...

By the way ...laughing at Stumpy the Crow ...hehheehe

we have rocky the raccoon, stumpy the squirrel, woody the woodchuck, crippie the crippled bird, chippie the chipmunk, raggedy swan,...and the horrid awful stupid names of critters goes on!

Anonymous said...

Doing great, Sandra!!! x0

Sandra Leigh said...

Thanks, Friends, for your encouragement. Optimism holding, still alive, words still coming.

(And) I treasure your responses to my posts. I truly do. Thank you.

Blog Archive