Sunday, March 02, 2008

Things have settled down. There's been no more excitement at Sadie's house - and her people are due back from the Copper Canyon today, so my dog walking duties will come to a close. Roger, Robin, and Terry went for their dive. Robin didn't dive, but he took some videos (I started to say "some film", but that's not right. We need a new word, better than "video"). Terry had technical difficulties and aborted his dive, but Roger went in. He came out with several scallops and a chile conch. I know they ate the scallops for dinner last night, but I'm not sure what happened to the conch after its date with the pot.

While the guys were out on the dive, Chantal and I had a fairly quiet day. I took the bus to Ley first thing in the morning. While I was there, I stopped at the salon to have my eyebrows done. It made me wish (just for a moment) that my eyebrows grew faster, so I would have an excuse to have more spa mornings. I felt quite pampered. I did my shopping, then went back to Keops, this time with no illusions, and enjoyed a cup of Americano Caramelo while I tried to read a bit of the book I had bought, Isabel Allende's La Casa de los Espiritus in the original Spanish. I'll still be reading it when we come back next year, I think.

When I got back, I took Sadie for her walk and settled in for a relaxing afternoon. Somehow I never got around to suggesting the window shopping expedition I had thought of the day before. Just before four o'clock, the fog rolled in and it got quite chilly. Meanwhile, Joyce had come over with her craft kit, and the three of us had a great time sitting outside, sharing materials and glue gun, making mobiles to hang from our awnings. Part way through, Chantal and I both ducked inside our rvs to put on warmer clothes. The men came home just before we finished our project. We had been a little worried, because the fog was quite thick, but they were fine. The fog had arrived just as they beached the boat at the end of their trip.

That was Friday, which meant there wasn't a lot of sleep to be had that night. The disco was going at full throttle. I gave up trying to sleep, read my book, then got up altogether at about two o'clock in the morning and took my book over to the porch in front of the office. I dragged one of the big rocking chairs over to the Coke machine and used the machine's display as a reading lamp. Pretty Woman was blasting from the speakers across the street. It was a chilly night, so I was only able to stay there for about half an hour, reading and watching cars come and go. I came back in to warm up, read by flashlight under the covers until the batteries gave out, then brought my gooseneck lamp into my "tent" so I could keep reading. I woke up tired and with a sore shoulder from holding the lamp and flashlight up.

Yesterday's highlight was our trip to the estuary in the afternoon. We all piled into the truck - Roger drove; Chantal sat in front. Blitzen and I shared the back seat; Terry and Robin rode shotgun. Roger took the dirt road that Robin and I use every day for our bike ride. It's a fairly comfortable bike ride, but I gather it's not so comfortable if you're sitting in the cargo bed of a pickup truck. Heh. We walked to the far end of the beach and I sat for a long time while everyone else explored. It was idyllic. Then we wandered slowly back to the truck - I walked in the deliciously warm water. Chantal and I picked up pretty bits of stone from the beach. We took the paved road home, by popular demand. I had made curried chicken for dinner, so all I had to do was cook the rice, and dinner was a done deal.

Sleep was in short supply again, but I am pleased to say that it is Sunday. There will be steak on the barbie, and the disco won't be open tonight. All is well.

No comments:

Blog Archive